Your dishwasher is probably one of the most important appliances in your home. It helps you keep your dishes clean and free of bacteria, mold, and mildew. But what do you do when it starts to smell bad? Are you wondering how to clean a Whirlpool dishwasher? Don’t worry – we’re here to help! In this guide, we will walk you through the steps to cleaning your dishwasher, and we will answer the question, “Why is my Whirlpool dishwasher smelling?”. We will also provide tips on how to deep-clean your dishwasher and how to unclog a drain. Keep your dishwasher running like new with these simple tips!
How to Clean a Whirlpool Dishwasher Step-by-Step
If you’re noticing that your dishwasher is starting to smell bad, it’s likely overdue for a thorough cleaning. This foul odor can occur if you don’t clean your dishwasher regularly and can also affect the cleaning power of your dishwasher. Luckily, we have some Whirlpool dishwasher cleaning tips to make the process quick and easy. If your dishwasher isn’t cleaning as well as it used to, or if foul odors are becoming a problem, this guide is for you.
Why Is My Whirlpool Dishwasher Smelling?
Are you wondering how to clean a smelly dishwasher? The most likely reason for your smelly dishwasher is that mold, mildew, and bacteria are starting to build up. This can happen if your dishwasher isn’t cleaned regularly or if there is standing water in your dishwasher. If you’re noticing a foul odor coming from your dishwasher, it’s important to clean it as soon as possible to prevent the problem from getting worse. Keep reading to learn how to clean a Whirlpool dishwasher.
Why Is My Dishwasher Leaving Water Stains?
The water spots that your dishwasher leaves on dishes can be both unsightly and annoying. Not only do they make your dishes look dirty, but they can also be difficult to remove. Luckily, there are several ways that you can prevent water spots from appearing on your dishes.
How to Prevent Water Spots on Dishes
- Make sure that your dishwasher is level. If it isn’t, the water will not properly drain, which can lead to water spots.
- Learn how to clean a Whirlpool dishwasher, and ensure the washer is properly cleaned and sanitized regularly. This will help to prevent bacteria, mold, and mildew from growing and causing bad odors. It will also assist in reducing the accumulation of minerals that build up in the unit from hard water.
- If you’re noticing water spots on your dishes, it may be because you’re not using the right detergent. Some detergents are harsher than others and can cause spots to form on dishes. If you’re having this problem, try switching to a detergent meant for hard water.
- Use a rinse agent or detergent booster in your dishwasher. This will help to keep the dishes free of streaks and water spots.
How Do You Clean the Inside of a Whirlpool Dishwasher?
To clean the inside of a dishwasher, you can use vinegar and baking soda. First, fill a bowl with white vinegar and place it on the bottom rack of your empty dishwasher. Close the dishwasher and run a washing cycle on the hottest water setting available. When complete, remove the bowl and continue to the next step.
Next, sprinkle a cup of baking soda into the bottom tub of the empty dishwasher. Close the dishwasher and run it again on the hottest water cycle available.
The vinegar and baking soda will help to clean and disinfect your dishwasher while removing hard water mineral deposits and assisting in clearing any bad smells.
How Do I Deep Clean My Whirlpool Dishwasher?
If it has been a while since you’ve cleaned your dishwasher, you may need to begin with a thorough deep cleaning. If you’re wanting to learn how to clean a Whirlpool dishwasher, you’ll want to follow the following tips to clean all elements of the dishwasher, inside and out.
To Deep Clean a Dishwasher:
- Begin by cleaning the inside of the washer tub
- Clean the dishwasher filter
- Clean the dishwasher spray arms
- Check for any clogs, and remove clogs if found
- Finally, clean the dishwasher gasket and door seal
How Do I Clean the Filter on My Whirlpool Dishwasher?
If you’re noticing that your dishwasher isn’t cleaning as well as it used to, or if you’re noticing a bad smell coming from it, it may be time to clean the filter. Are you wondering how to clean a dishwasher filter? First, locate the filter. The filter is located at the bottom of your dishwasher and helps to keep food and debris from clogging the drain.
To clean the filter, remove it from your dishwasher and rinse it under cold water. You can also scrub it with a toothbrush if needed. Replace the filter and run your dishwasher while empty on the hottest cycle available to finish cleaning it.
How Do You Clean Spray Arms on a Dishwasher?
The spray arms on your dishwasher are responsible for spraying water over your dishes as they are being cleaned. If these spray arms become clogged with food, minerals, or debris, they won’t be able to do their job properly. To clean them, remove them from your dishwasher and soak them in a bowl of hot water mixed with dish soap. You can also use a wire brush to scrub them clean. Once they are clean, reattach them to your dishwasher and make sure they rotate freely.
Why Is There Standing Water in My Whirlpool Dishwasher?
There can be a few different causes for standing water in the bottom of your dishwasher. The most common cause of standing water is a clog somewhere in the unit. Are you wondering how to clean a clogged Whirlpool dishwasher?
Troubleshooting a Clogged Dishwasher:
- Check for clogged garbage disposal: The dishwasher and garbage disposal often share the same drain line. If the garbage disposal becomes too full or clogged, it can cause issues with the dishwasher properly draining. A good rule of thumb is to always run your garbage disposal to clear it before starting a dishwasher cycle. If the garbage disposal has a stubborn clog, try using a plunger to dislodge it.
- Check the air gap: Another possibility is that the air gap is blocked. The air gap is located on the back of your sink and prevents dirty water from your dishwasher from flowing back into your sink. If it is clogged with debris, use a small brush to clear it out and run your dishwasher again. If the air gap is clear and you’re still seeing standing water, then the problem is most likely a clogged drain.
- Check for a clogged drain: One of the most common reasons for standing water in a dishwasher is a clogged drain. Wanting to learn how to clean a dishwasher drain trap? To unclog a drain on a dishwasher, you’ll need to remove the dishwasher drain hose from the garbage disposal. Once you’ve done that, use a plunger to try and dislodge the clog. If that doesn’t work, you may need to use a plumber’s snake to clear the clog.
What Is the Best Way to Clean the Inside of a Dishwasher?
Using Affresh Dishwasher Cleaner is the best way to clean the inside of your dishwasher. It comes in a tablet form, and all you have to do is drop it into the dishwasher detergent section in an empty dishwasher and run it on its hottest, longest cleaning cycle. The cleaner will help to remove any build-up of mold, mildew, or bacteria.
Once the dishwasher has completed its cycle using Affresh Dishwasher Cleaner, simply take a soft rag and wipe any remaining residue out of the interior of the dishwasher. Then, use warm water and a bit of vinegar to clean any mold, mildew, or debris off of the dishwasher gasket and door seal.
If your dishwasher is not draining properly, has bad smells, or does not seem to be cleaning dishes as well as it used to, you may need to call a professional for dishwasher repair. Athens Appliance Repair can help diagnose and solve any problems you are having with your dishwasher. We have years of experience repairing most major brands and models of dishwashers, so you can rest assured that we will be able to get your dishwasher back up and running in no time.